Sunday, September 27, 2015

From the inside out

"And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just--yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them--therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God." (Alma 31:5) I read this verse the other day, but I heard it again in sacrament meeting today. This may seem like a simple notion, that preaching the gospel will cause more change in people than the sword, but this notion is true! Love teaches and changes people than  a "system" or laws or wars or rules or regulations. If church is treated and taught to be a requirement and a punishment, then it will be viewed as such. If church is treated and taught to be as a treat, a special relaxing and spiritual escape, then it will be that. Sometimes it's hard. Sometimes getting out of bed is hard. Sometimes getting kids in the car without screaming is hard. I know that living where I have lived, and going to school where I have, I have learned to love church. Church was an escape. Someplace sacred and quiet.

In high school I was not very nice and far too sarcastic, and then I learned about charity. Charity is the pure love of Christ (Moroni 7:46-48). I heard about it in seminary and slowly realized I lacked in this quality. I wanted it though. I started an internal change. Something that is being gained through my own choice. Not through the strict rules of my family. Not through the rules of school. Not through the standards of the church. I was already following those. I began to understand the spirit of those rules and standards. The change brought about came from within and with the spirit. 



I bear my testimony that I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has the full gospel. I know hat as we learn and live the gospel we will change from the inside out. I leave these things with you in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment