Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Calling


I am the Primary Activity Days Assistant Leader. (Phew, that's a mouthful!). I just love my calling. I was home from Utah for only two weeks when I was called into the bishop's office. I knew that my dad (Ward Sunday School President) was in need of a gospel doctrine teacher because the current one is moving soon. I knew he put my name in, but I guess that the primary president got to me first. I went into the bishop's office and he asked if I would be an Activity Days leader.

I was shocked. I fully expected to be given a calling I wasn't prepared for in the least, now I was totally unprepared to wrap my mind around the calling he had in mind for me. But as I sat in that chair in his office, I warmed to idea, literally. I literally felt the warmth of the Holy Ghost saying that this was supposed to happen. I accepted the calling and I was sustained and set apart the following Sunday.

My first activity came around and I was terrified. I didn't know how many girls would come or even if I would get my message across. It was on service and we were going to be braiding each others hair. First I opened with a song and prayer, then I started talking about service and how important it is. I talked about when my dad was deployed and the youth from youth conference that year came and cleaned our house. I talked about how much it meant to my mom when the youth came, she just cried. She was so grateful for the wonderful Christlike service that the youth and their leaders gave was beautiful.

That lesson and handling those girls was probably one of the most challenging things I've ever done. But after four activities, I have begun to get a hang of this and see why I have this calling. It has become easier to plan these activities, and easier to understand these girls.

After our most recent activity, I realized that these girls understand so much more of the gospel than they realize. I am sure I didn't know as much as them at their age. They are so smart and they are such blessings in my life. In patriarchal blessing, it talks a lot about how I will be leading the youth of the church, I never imagined leading these bright young ladies. I am so grateful for modern revelation and callings. Callings have two parts to the blessings: for the person who is called, and for those serving under them. I know of a surety that people receive callings for very specific reasons, even if we ourselves don't understand, God does. I leave these things with you in the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen. 
 
P.S. I also learned that these girls are rubbish with my phone's camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment