Friday, November 28, 2014

Free to choose

At some point most people have felt hurt because of someone else's choices or situations, even if they do not mean to. I have had friends who were spiritually hurting, they were being destructive and wouldn't stop because they did not see what they were doing that was wrong. They knew they were in pain, but they didn't know what from. When they would talk about it and ask what I think they should do, I would tell them and sometimes they wouldn't take what I said to heart. This hurt me too. I felt responsible for their hurt and pain because I must not have tried hard enough, if I had tried harder, if I had hung around them more, if I had given more advice, if I loved them more they would be happier, they wouldn't be in so much pain. 

I came to realize that None of this was my fault, none of their pain was caused by me. I did nothing wrong. I helped when asked, and loved them as I could. But when you feel like you have done all you can do, do not feel guilty if they do something stupid. They are not you and you cannot control them. It's all up to them whether or not this is their path. Feel comforted that you have done all you can do.

You have to let it go. It is destructive and corrodes on your wellbeing, your well deserved happiness. You did nothing wrong, that person did. You have no responsibility for any saving of any soul but your own. You can invite, you can be kind, you can set the example, but you cannot take on their burden and you cannot blame yourself. You are your own person. God created you for your own problems and for helping others, not for them to drag you down. They may not mean to but sometimes people end up doing it anyway. Don't let it happen. 

When God created our spirits, he held a council full of everyone, everyone we know and love was there. Satan then stood up and said that he had a plan, that everyone will be forced to choose the right, no sorrow but also no happiness. Jesus then stood and said that he has a different plan: man will have the ability to choose from right and wrong. "Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself." (2 Nephi 2:27) There will be sorrows and there will be trials, life will be hard, but we will be able to have happiness and joy through choosing the right. Everyone on earth, everyone who has ever had a body chose Jesus' plan. There was a third of those precious spirits though who chose Satan's plan, they cannot ever have bodies. We fought for the right to choose, and so we must respect those who still choose wrong. It is their own destruction they ensure, not ours. If we do all we can, then we shall be blessed. 

Christ suffered for our sins, transgressions, heartaches, sicknesses, everything that hurts, but you did not. He died to to open the gates of heaven, that we may have the choice of going to heaven, that we may become pure like him. It is our own choices that determine that, not anyone else's. When we do something wrong, it is our own fault, not anyone else's. When someone does something wrong, it is their own burden that they choose to carry. 

This is not a burden you have to carry. These are not your sins! You have your own sins to worry about, repent for your own. Do not let others fool you, "this may be a look into the suffering of our Savior". He does not want others to suffer as He did! Not now, not ever. 

You are not alone, you are never alone. You have friends to buoy you up, but they are not there to be your weights. Bring your friends up, and help them but do not let their choices tarnish your happiness. 

I bear my testimony that I know thy God loves you and me, and he sent his Son as proof. He will comfort us as much as we ask. He will help us get up, but is our responsibility to reach up and take his outstretched hand. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment