Saturday, August 30, 2014

Best 19th birthday present

Serving a mission will benefit any young man or young woman who decides to serve for forever, and their families, converts, and the people they just barely even talk to because some people don't always join the church the first go around. There are eternal blessings to serving a mission, and those blessings only come through serving a mission. "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God... And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father! And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!" (D&C 18:10,15-16) God loves each and every one of us, and when we bring someone to the gospel we have joy, and if we bring several people to the gospel our joy will multiply a million times over. We don't serve missions just because we are supposed to, we serve because we love our fellow man and want them to share the joy in living the gospel just as we do. That's why it's called "serving a mission", that's all we do on missions, serve.

I felt the call one year and 20ish months ago (almost two years) when I heard the prophet announce the age change and I knew I had to serve a mission. Believe me, a mission, up until that day, was not in my plans in the least. I was planning to go straight into college and not look back. But I knew I had to serve a mission. I had a warm feeling in my heart and I felt something say that I am going to serve a mission. It was wonderful and shocking, haha. And then when I went with the sister missionaries, all by myself, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am going to serve a mission, and I will love it because I love people and I love my Savior. I want other people to have the same joy I have in His light and His atonement.

This confirmation became even clearer when I went to someone's house who was taking the lessons, and her mom told her, while the sisters and I were there, that she could just keep going to her church. She said, "No mom, I don't want to go to your church, I want to go this church." Her mom asked why. She said, "It feels right. Every time I go to church with them I feel this warm feeling that just tells me that it's the right place to be." I saw it click in her eyes, and it was the most beautiful thing I ever saw.

I can't wait to serve a mission. I look forward to it more than Christmas, my birthday, even attending SVU. It will be such a grand adventure! A mission is so important to me and I know I will do my best and I will try and please The Lord. I bear my testimony on the power of the Holy Ghost and it is the only power that converts people. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment