Saturday, January 31, 2015

"Me" does things differently

I've never understood the urge that some people have to fit in. I just can't stand the idea of doing what everyone else is doing. I am me. "Me" does things differently. I am different and I've accepted that. I am talented and unique. I think for myself and make my own decisions. I don't care what other people think of me or my actions. The only ones I answer to for my perfectly legal and commandment following oddities are my God and my own conscience.

I wear long socks with shorts. I don't drink, smoke, snort, or any of that other stupid stuff that kids do nowadays. I drink chamomile tea. I wash my hair once or twice a week. I love and wear pinup and retro hairstyles. I will not have sex until I am married, and then only with the man I am married to. I don't straighten my hair (the hair stylist doesn't count because that rolls into getting a haircut). Everything I do has a reason. I can pull apart every single thing I've listed and give you a health, faith, or just plain personal preference for it.

I am a child of God. He knows and loves me for who I am. He has given the Church commandments and morals for a reason, and that is too make us more free. I am more free to make my own decisions a when I am not intoxicated. I am more free when I am dressing modestly because I am more comfortable, I do not have to worry about anyone seeing certain sacred parts of my body, and I am following one of my God's commandments.

By being who we are and by following the commandments we will never be the most popular kids in school. We will never be the most noticed. We will never be the most talked about. I never was. Because I didn't party, I didn't get into any trouble. Because I didn't cheat, I didn't have the best of grades in some classes. Because I have dressed modestly, I was asked if I was homeschooled (yes, that actually happened...). The point is that we should not strive to be popular or to fit in, those always have a fading and changing definition that no human being can possibly keep up with. The only person you should be concerned about being popular with is God. I leave with you the testimony that Jesus Christ lives and His Father sent him to earth to live like us, so that he could take upon himself the pains, sicknesses, afflictions, and sins of His people (us). He did that so that we may be free. Don't take that for granted. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment