Friday, February 27, 2015

We can be the leaven

"We are to live in the world but not be of the world. We must live in the world because, as Jesus taught in a parable, His kingdom is “like leaven,” whose function is to raise the whole mass by its influence (see Luke 13:21; Matthew 13:33; see also 1 Corinthians 5:6–8). His followers cannot do that if they associate only with those who share their beliefs and practices. But the Savior also taught that if we love Him, we will keep His commandments (see John 14:15)."
(Loving Others and Living with Differences, http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/loving-others-and-living-with-differences?lang=eng)

I have made a lot of bread recently (artisan bread if you must know, recipe is at the bottom) and I have noticed a couple of things: This recipe only calls for half a teaspoon of yeast (leaven) and has the dough rise for 8-12 hours. 

How many of us have had to stand alone because of our values and morals? But also how many of us have seen our blessings multiply from maintaining those values and morals? I have been the only (or one of the only) Mormon(s) in school for most of my life, but because I had such strong faith in my values my other Christian friends found it was easier to stick to theirs when they are around me. We can be that half a teaspoon that helps raise the whole loaf. 

Whenever my bread is rising I am always moving it to a warmer spot and checking on it (much to the frustration of my mom). I imagine Christ is the same with us. As long as we are doing our best to do as He did, He will keep moving us to a warmer place for us to grow. 

I bear my testimony that I know that as we try to be like Christ, not only will we be able to do so, we will also help others around, and Christ will look after us. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

http://www.frugallivingnw.com/amazing-no-knead-bread-step-by-step-recipe/

No comments:

Post a Comment