Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Not ashamed and not afraid

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek." (Romans 1:16, http://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/rom/1?lang=eng)

I know that for a long time I just didn't talk about religion. People would ask me what I believed and I would say something and then quickly change the subject. I knew what I believed, I just didn't know how to talk about it. It is only in the past year and a half or so that I've really become comfortable talking about the gospel with everyone from friends to near strangers. I do think that God is preparing me for my mission, but we don't need to serve a mission to be a missionary per se. 

Full time missionaries have the name tags, the full power of the Spirit, a special focus because that is their job for eighteen months to two years, etc. But we can all be member missionaries. We can all share God's love and good news. Are we holding up our light when we brush off questions about what we believe? What if that friend or coworker needs the gospel? What if they want it but don't know where to find it? We need to be like the Savior, and the Savior was never afraid to share the good news about the plan of happiness. 

In seminary I remember the song for Romans 1:16 clear as day, if I see you in person I will sing it for you, guaranteed. It has stuck with me and it is one of the songs I sing to myself when I need the Spirit with me. 

I testify to you that the gospel of Christ is the work of salvation to everyone who believes. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment