Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Unqualified

“When we are on the Lord’s errand, we are entitled to the Lord’s help. Remember that whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies.” (Thomas S. Monson, “Duty Calls,” Liahona, July 1996, 42; Ensign, May 1996, 44.)

I have been thinking a lot about being a missionary and other roles I will play in my life lately. A thought kept popping up every time I would worry about those roles: "God doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called." As I prepare for my mission I worry some about being a good missionary, but I also worry about one day becoming a wife and mother. How would I, imperfect, obnoxious, impatient, clumsy, impulsive, blunt Lyssa, ever be a good missionary, wife, and mother? But again I am reminded that I have already been called then later qualified for a previous calling and that God will do so again.

My first calling was activity days leader. I came into that calling not knowing any of the girls, I am not crafty, and I did not know how to manage people very well. However, as time went on and I prayed for each activity to go well, that I and the girls would feel the Spirit, and we would finish the activity. I grew to love all 13 of those girls, and my testimony truly grew. I became qualified for that calling. 

I know that God will help me and guide me as I ask for help in each calling I have in my life. I know that through grace, the atonement will make up for my shortcomings. I leave these things with you in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment